Sunday 29 November 2009

Taking the road less travelled


Snippets of conversations:


1


“Why dont you quit your job and go live with your parents?”


my parents are only temporarily living in another country, why should I follow them?


“Why dont you quit your job and go live your parents?”


*sigh* InshAllah


2


“Why dont you work for company X? I have contacts there?”


why should I? it is not exactly in my field? and my current job requires more skills and I find it more exciting.


“Good pay and it is where your parents are now, and a better chance of finding a husband!”


but I like where I work! and anyway my parents only temporarily ...


.

.

.

[This conversation or variants of it continue for MONTHS until]


OK! I will apply, and because of your contacts I will get an interview. I will then charm their

socks off at said interview and get the job! Then, when they offer me it, I will say NO. Would that make you look good in front of your contact?


“No”


[conversation killed]


3


“Your brother wants to move to the city where your parents are and is looking for a job there”


why dont you use your contacts in company X and get him the job?


No, company X is not challenging, its not fair on him to work there.


[No, this was not based on differences in our personalities]




4


“You are crazy! who would leave their parents?!”


First, they left me, and second, you actually DID leave your parents and flew half way across the world!


That’s different, that was where my husbands work is.


and MY work is here!!!


Leave this work, find something where your parents are.


They dont have my field in that country, and I am still junior so I cant start up a company there.


But that country is rich, they can sponsor and they are always looking for new business ventures ...


I am junior and ... Inshallah


5


[Same people as conv 4]


How come you uprooted the kids and moved to a new city? You were happy where you were


For my husbands career progression. So what are you going to do when your contract ends.


Look for a new job, I am applying all over the world, its really exciting, even though a bit scary ...


OMG!! Go to your parents! Find a man! Do something for yourself


[or a common variant: its time to think of yourseld, find a husband]


who do you think I am thinking of? My family does not need the salary... I work because I enjoy the work!



6


[This is a bit of an oldie but still...]


If you choose that profession no man will want you*


excellent! a filter for the egotists.


8


I want grandchildren!


Ok Mum, let me just nip out to the shops.


------

[I hate the pressure building up inside me]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.